Thursday, July 3, 2008

Day Three - 30 Day Challenge

"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I have just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well."

~~Diane Ackerman



I'm back!!! On to Day 3...



July 3rd...



Day Three talks about "Spending Your Most Valuable Resource", which is our time. The authors write and question that if we knew we had a calendar month to live - just how would we spend our time? Would we worry about catching up on the latest television shows or would be worry about spending that much needed quality time with our families.



One of the main points that stood out for me in this chapter, was the idea of leaving a legacy.



"Make the most of your time by applying your energy to the areas that are your ongoing priorities. Keep in mind the legacy you want to leave behind-in the work you do, through the relationships you keep, and by the way you spend each day. We were not designed to be slaves to time. We were created to be active and present in the lives we've been given. Make the most of your time by spending it on a legacy that will last long after your time on earth has ended."



Make it Count moment:



What consumes most of your time each day? Be as specific as possible in responding. Many of us might say work consumes most of our hours each day, but break it down. What exactly consumes you at work? How meaningful is it? How satisfying is it? How much of any given day do you spend doing only what you do best?



The Internet consumes me at work... Thinking about what I could be doing besides work and other aimless thoughts consume me. Not too satisfying sitting at a desk thinking of all the things I'd rather be doing then when I get out of work, I rarely do anything that I was thinking about while at work. I seem to find that I rarely do anything I think about doing & I hope in time and over these next 27 days that this will change.



** "Companions as we are in this work with you, we beg you, please don't squander one bit of this marvelous life God has given us" 2 Corn 6:1 MSG



**In our lives, 20 percent of what we do brings about most of the results of our life and 80 percent is wasted.



Make it Count Moment:



In general, do you agree with the 80/20 principle? Does it seem to fit your life and how you spend your time? What activities in your life would you consider wasted time? What keeps you from using that time in more meaningful ways?



I need to really sit down and think about the 80/20 principle and how it applies to my life. Using the Make It last for Life questions will help me to answer this question later on in the week.





Make it Last for Life (whew... have a week to answer theses)...



1. Keep a time journal this week, and jot down how you spend each day. Try to rate your productivity (what you accomplish) along with your contentment ( how you experienced each day) How would you rate the cost-effectiveness of how you invested your time?



2. What was the biggest time waster in your past week? What was the payoff for you? did it distract you, entertain you, allow you to avoid someone? Is there a way to use your time differently and have a greater, more significant impact? Maybe you need to watch less television and to read more, or perhaps instead of surfing the Internet, you could go for a walk or get some other exercise. Come up with a short list of alternate activities you can pursue the next time you're tempted to waste time by default.



3. How would you describe your current season of life? Does it feel like you're buried beneath frozen tundra, emotionally hibernating? Or is it more like spring, with signs of new life in view? What does it mean for you to accept and honor your current season?





*** I leave my legacy for this guy... ***



No comments:

Post a Comment