Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Decades Challenge

I discovered something new in the blogging world. Well, new for me since I'm new to blogging. Book Challenges!! So I figured, what a way to get me back into reading. I decided to just start with two for now, although some blogs I've come across have several challenges going at once!! You go bloggers!!! lol... I'm starting slow! ;-)







My first challenge that I'm jumping into is hosted by 3M at http://1morechapter.com/decades/. It's called the Decades '08 Challenge. Basically you're supposed to read a minimum of 8 books in 8 consecutive decades. Here are the rules:


The rules are simple:
1. Read a minimum of 8 books in 8 consecutive decades in ‘08.
2. Books published in the 2000’s do not count.
3. Titles may be cross-posted with any other challenge.
4. You may change your list at any time.
5. Peruse the eligible book lists and reviews from last year. Any book from that decade is eligible; it doesn’t have to be on the list to qualify. Another good source to find out when books were published is wikipedia. For example if you follow
this link, you will see how easy it is to search books by a particular decade. Another resource is fantasticfiction.co.uk.
6. If you participated in By the Decade ‘07 and I didn’t put your review up, please let me know in the comments for the appropriate decade and I’ll include it in the space before the Mr. Linky. Please don’t post ‘07 reviews in the Mr. Linky–that’s for the ‘08 reviews.
7. Sign up through Mr. Linky below. Please use the url of your specific post for this challenge rather than just your blog url.
8. Come back and post your reviews in the appropriate Mr. Linky (I’ll have them up after January 1). You are encouraged to post all the books you’ve read for that decade if you’re participating in Decades ‘08.
9. Prizes: One credit or in-stock book each will be given away to 8 individuals through
paperbackswap or bookmooch. International is okay. The grand prize winner will get 8 credits or in-stock books! If you complete 8 decades, that is one entry for the prize. For each additional decade you complete consecutively, that is an additional entry. So, if you complete 12 consecutive decades, that would be 5 entries for the prize.
10. Have fun reading!




Interesting huh? Here are my choices...
1800 & earlier -
1810 – Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
1820 – Hope Leslie by Catharine Maria Sedgwick
1830 – Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
1840 – Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
1850 – My Bondage and My Freedom by Fredrick Douglass
1860 – Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
1870 – Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
1880 – The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
1890 – The Awakenings by Kate Choplin
1900 – The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
1910 – The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley
1920 – Cane by Jean Toomer
1930 – Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zore Neale Hurston
1940 – 1984 by George Orwell
1950 – Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
1960 – Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
1970 – Roots by Alex Haley
1980 – The Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, Fannie Flagg
1990 – Possession by A.S Byatt

Don't know if I'll get through them all, but I'm going to give it a run for my money. The challenge ends 12/31/08.

No comments:

Post a Comment